Thursday, February 6, 2014

Colors

I've got a confession; Color, to me, can be a pretty random thing, in terms of how different people seem to relate to it. Maybe  I'm a pop artist, but for me, it's more about how the color makes the painting feel, than the actual real life color. My goal, most of the time, is to try to capture a moment in time. If I'm plein air painting on a flat grey day, with the cooler colors, comes off that way from my palette. That warm,sunny day may get some fluorescent green, bright orange, making the finished product just flaming hot.

As I've been working with a couple of other artists on a weekly basis, I've. Been rethinking some general notions of composition, or hacks. An example is how I represent grey with green, blue, purple, or brown; or in a more classical model, how the renaissance painters would underpaint with greys, blacks, sienna, to render such brilliant work. 

it's worth looking a the same piece, done one Saturday morning, from each of our  perspectives. I'm just going to set the stage this way: is it setting the scene? Does it capture an instant?

The first:

Definitely like the contrast here. Good color rendering, seems pretty accurate.

The next:
I can see this piece going a lot of directions, just from its final presentation. How it's framed could change the mood of this piece, or the artist could keep working layers, and make a totally different piece.

Last:

Three grey outhouses in the snow. Three different points in time, from the use of color. These are the things I do love about painting...

No comments:

Post a Comment